Rabu, 18 Januari 2012

Hannah Yeoh

Hannah Yeoh


Prosthetic leg for SS19 resident

Posted: 17 Jan 2012 09:39 AM PST

Amputee gets prosthetic leg from Yeoh

By AIDA AHMAD and ELLORA CHUA

AMPUTEE and father of seven children, Mohd Noor Busin can now look forward to walking and moving around freely without the aid of a wheelchair.

Mohd Noor, 68, who lost his leg in July last year due to diabetic complications, received his new prosthetic limb from Subang Jaya assemblyman Hannah Yeoh at his home in SS19 recently.
"I first saw Mohd Noor when we carried out a gotong-royong project in the area. He had applied to get a prosthetic leg from the Social Welfare Department but there was no feedback," said Yeoh.
Mohd Noor's children went to get a quotation from a clinic for the prosthetic leg and were faced with a RM7,990 bill.
Much needed assistance: Yeoh (second from left) with the artificial leg her office donated to amputee Mohd Noor. With them are Jamal Mohamed (left) and Mohd Noor's daughters, Hamidah (in pink) and Hummida.
"His children managed to save up RM2,000 which was not enough.
"My office offered to donate the balance of RM5,990 for Mohd Noor to have his leg in time for his son's wedding in December," Yeoh said.
She urged the Welfare Department to speed up cases such as these in future to lessen the burden of people with disabilities because the cost of prosthetic limbs is very expensive.
Mohd Noor's daughters, Nor Hamidah, 17, and Nor Hummida, 19, are very happy that their father can finally move around without the wheelchair.
"I'm very thankful for the prosthetic leg. I hope that when my father gets used to walking with the prosthetic leg and is able to take care of himself again, my older sister can find a job to help our family," said Hamidah.
At the moment, Hummida stays at home to take care of her father.
"I am very happy because things will be easier now, not just for myself but for my other family members and my father as well.
"I am also very thankful for Yeoh's help because we appealed to the Welfare Department in August but got a very late response.
"Now that my father has a prosthetic leg, I am at ease. He can go the toilet and bathe without having to sit in a wheelchair now," said Hummida.
SS19 Rukun Tetangga chairman Jamal Mohamed also thanked Yeoh for helping Mohd Noor.
"We are very appreciative of her for coming to our aid," he said.
Photos taken during the press conference with SS19 residents

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan