Sabtu, 19 Mac 2011

Philosophy Politics Economics

Philosophy Politics Economics


Zahid Must Apologise

Posted: 18 Mar 2011 10:05 AM PDT

I read with shock and horror the report in Utusan Malaysia today, quoting the Defence Minister, Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi who said:
"Dia [Tony Pua] dulu ditangkap di Singapura, dibawa ke mahkamah, tetapi sebab hubungan dia mungkin baik dengan pejabat tertentu di sana, beliau dilepaskan (dan) tidak dapat jadi ahli Parlimen (di sana)"
I cannot believe that a senior ranking Minister and the highest ranking vice-president of Umno would stoop so low as to spin venomous lies beyond imagination against me and my character.

The above falsehoods is clearly an attempt to divert the public and the media's attention away from the mega-procurement deals which the Defence Minister signed last month, amounting to RM13.55 billion.

Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi has to date failed to provide clear and detailed explanation for the RM6 billion purchase of 6 offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) from Boustead Holdings Bhd as well as the RM7.55 billion purchase of 257 8x8 armoured wheeled-vehicles (AWVs) from DRB Hicom Bhd, whether to the media or in Parliament.

I had at various times called the Minister to explain in detail what exactly are we purchasing, at prices seemingly much higher than other countries. What's more, both of these contracts were awarded without any competitive tenders.

However, instead of being accountable to the rakyat, the Minister has chosen to spread malicious lies to tarnish my character and reputation as a diversionary tactic. In fact, his attempt to deflect the call for answers on the above military transactions with frivolous personal accusations leads me to believe that the Minister has something to hide from the people.

Let me make it clear in no uncertain terms that:
  1. I've never ever been arrested in Singapore, not even for jay-walking.
  2. I've never ever been charged in Singapore, for civil or criminal cases.
  3. I have no relationship whatsoever with the Government of Singapore
  4. I've never been interested in taking part in politics in Singapore, what's more as a Member of Parliament in that country.
Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi also claimed that I studied in Singapore from primary to tertiary level, which is factually wrong for I completed my primary school in SRK Montfort, Batu Pahat and for my Bachelor's degree at Oxford University. I was only in Singapore for my secondary education at Raffles Institution as a recipient of the ASEAN scholarship.

What's more I've never even taken up permanent residency in Singapore or any other country, unlike certain Barisan Nasional Ministers.

The insinuation by the Minister that I am now a "Singapore agent" due to a deal with Singapore authorities is downright evil. The story painted by the Defence Minister is so outrageous and incredible that perhaps he will make a better spy fiction writer like John Le Carre, than he is as the country's defence minister.

I call on Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi to retract his statement and make an unreserved public apology within 24 hours or I will instruct my lawyers to file a defamation suit against him next week.

Bung Mokhtar Escapes Unpunished

Posted: 17 Mar 2011 08:11 PM PDT

An enraging joke
Tarani Palani | March 16, 2011

KUALA LUMPUR: Tasteless and inane jokes are quite common in the Malaysian Parliament, but Kinabatangan MP Bung Mokhtar Radin might have gone too far in his attempt at comedy yesterday.
Tony Pua (DAP-Petaling Jaya Utara) was definitely not amused by Bung's reference to him as a "Singapore agent".

Pua told reporters today that he did not enjoy having his loyalty questioned.

Bung Mokhtar's unfunny statement was a rejoinder to Arau MP Ismail Kassim's complaint that foreigners were referring to rambutans as the Singapore lychee.

He interrupted Ismail, telling the latter to talk to Pua, the "Singapore agent". And he laughed at his own joke.

Several opposition MPs were up in arms over the remark. Fong Po Kuan said it was a serious allegation and demanded a retraction.

Deputy Speaker Ronald Kiandee said the comment was made in jest and managed to restore calm to the house.

Pua, who was not in the house when the incident took place, tried to raise the matter this morning, but was greeted with laughter from the government backbenchers.

Speaker Pandikar Amin Mulia said he could not overrule the decision made by his deputy.
Pua told reporters later that he was not amused, that to be accused of a serious crime was no laughing matter.

"If I am a real Singapore agent, then I am subjected to the death penalty," he said.
He said Bung Mokhtar should have been subjected to some punishment. "When Anwar linked Umno to Apco, he was suspended," he said.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan