Posted: 10 Feb 2011 01:43 AM PST
photo courtesy of SJ Echo
News Article from SJ Echo : Freak Accident
Two foreigners die while another two admitted to hospital after they were extracted from sewage manhole
SUBANG JAYA: A Bangladeshi kitchen staff and a shopping mall Nepalese security guard who were found lying unconscious with two other foreigners in a shopping mall sewage manhole died from inhalation of fumes in what has been described by authorities as shocking.
Bangladeshi, Mohammed Momen whose age is unknown was found lying under the three other men slumped over him. Attempts to revive him failed.
Nepalese guard Balinath Tah, 33 whom authorities suspect had responded to the distress call from the two men succumbed to his injuries on the way to the hospital.
The freak accident has left authorities baffled on why Mohammed Momen and a yet unidentified colleague were in the manhole and how they lifted the manhole cover in broad daylight in the first place. Both were dressed in kitchen overalls.
Eye-witnesses who were first at the scene said they saw two security guards attached with the shopping mall in the manhole gasping for air when they looked into the open manhole.
A steel rod normally used to open roller shutters was found next to the manhole.
The Fire and Rescue Services Department who arrived at the scene immediately initiated attempts to extract the men from the manhole.
SS17 Fire and Rescue Services officer in charge assistant superintendent Ahamad Majid who was at the scene said when they arrived, they found the manhole open and upon checking found four men in the manhole.
"With personnel from SS17, Hazmat and Petaling Jaya, we extracted the men from the manhole and medical personnel immediately attended to them," Ahamad said.
Subang Jaya OCPD ACP Zainal Rashid Abu Bakar said police were investigating the incident to get to the bottom on why the men were in the manhole in the first place.
Subang Parade management spokesman said Subang Parade had no scheduled maintenance work for its manholes. We r concerned with the incident and have launched our own internal investigations on the matter. The matter is now being investigated with the authorities. We shall give our fullest cooperation to the authorities to get to the bottom of this.
|You are subscribed to email updates from Hannah Yeoh |
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
|Email delivery powered by Google|
|Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610|